By Montana Moyer
If you are a young college student who is given the opportunity to study abroad, definitely don’t pass it up. No matter what country it is, studying abroad is truly an experience of a lifetime. I started by study abroad journey in Florence, Italy about a month ago and since coming here I have seen so many amazing things.
Here are some of the top things I suggest doing while studying in Europe:
1. On the weekends, travel to as many places as possible. When you’re studying abroad, most schools don’t assign mandatory classes on Fridays so that you have longer weekends to travel. When you’re in Europe it is super easy to travel since countries are so close together. Since coming here, I have ventured outside of the country once and I have been to two other Italian cities. Throughout the course of the semester, I will be visiting 14 more cities and six more countries.
2. Take advantages of galleries and museums. There are some amazing pieces placed in museums all throughout Europe. Even if art may not be your thing, I would still suggest seeing as many museums as possible because each piece tells an amazing story about history. Trust me, learning history through art is 1,000 times better than sitting in a class listening to a teacher talk for hours. You may even find a piece you really like and fall in love with a something new.
3. Expand your palette and try some local foods! A big part of the study abroad experience is adapting to cultures and becoming one with the locals. So maybe do something crazy and try some lampredotto and gelato in Italy, chocolate and cheese in Switzerland, or even steak tartare and macarons in France.
4. Spend some time exploring your own city. When you find yourself sitting in your apartment with nothing to do, definitely use that time to your advantage and walk to some new places. Don’t use a GPS for this, see where the streets take you. If you do this, finding your way around the city on a daily basis will become so much easier. Who knows, you might even find some hidden gems right around the corner.
5. Do something adventurous! Conquer your fears! I just recently did something super adventurous in Switzerland and I am so happy that I did. I got to paraglide over the Swiss Alps and it really opened my eyes to how truly beautiful this world is. I’m not suggesting jump off a mountain like I did, but if you ever get the opportunity to do something as amazing as this, definitely don’t turn it down. You will not regret it and it will be something you can talk about for the rest of your life.
And most importantly…
6. Enjoy yourself and have the time of your life! Treasure every day and spend your time doing amazing things. Don’t waste a single minute while you’re studying abroad because sooner than you know it, it will all be over.
Submitted by our members as well as teens across the world.